Do You Want To Release Agility and Build an Engaged Team?
I suspect the answer is YES PLEASE!
I can help you with these things and more.
I quickly realised in my career that as I RELEASED AGILITY in my teams that Employee Engagement levels went UP. I got employee engagement for FREE!
This was what allowed me to move from being an Engineering Manager building and scaling agile, to become a Vice President of Employee Engagement and Enablement.
As a side effect of releasing agility we obtained:
- 3% Churn Rate – people didn’t leave very often – when they did – they often came back!
- 8% Recruitment Costs – as a blended rate of recruiters, self sourced and referrals
- SUPER HIGH Engagement Levels – according to our engagement survey
- 10 Day Hiring Cycle Times – the elapsed time from first application to a decision (post interview) for candidates
- CONSISTENT and PREDICTABLE delivery of work – every week, every year – economies of flow – not highs and then lows.
- RAVING FANS – People who didn’t get hired would go and tell others how great the company was!
I can help you and your organisation achieve this – and all without a single Agile Framework or Engagement “Initiative” – just amazing communication and superb management.
But what the heck is Releasing Agility?
I don’t often talk about “Agile” or “agile” – I prefer to talk about “Releasing Agility”.
Releasing Agility can happen in any team and in any industry.
Agility – “the power of moving quickly and easily towards your goal or purpose”
Release – “
In other words – I help you move more quickly and easily towards your business goals, by removing the friction that stands between where you are NOW and where you WANT TO BE.
Of course, this means you need to know where you’re going – if you don’t – I can help you with that too.
Releasing Agility follows a simple process :
- Step 1 – Paint a picture of the future.
- Why are you doing what you’re doing?
- Communicate it clearly and easily to everyone.
- Get people amped and stoked to be working with you on this amazing bright future.
- Step 2 – Identify what is stopping you achieving this future state.
- Why are you not already doing what you need to be doing?
- This requires studying real problems; not myths, rumours, opinions and conjecture.
- Step 3 – Build a team with the right strengths and behaviours to overcome the obstacles.
- Cooperation, good communication and a sense of team spirit are essential.
- As a manager or leader you should be able to say with confidence and commitment that “This is the team to get it done”. If you can’t – you have some work to be done.
- Your team need a plan too.
- Step 4 – Define and refine the very behaviours and systems needed to overcome the obstacles.
- Focus on building teams where people exhibit the right behaviours for your company.
- Behaviours, what people do everyday, are your company culture.
- Your company ethos, style and culture will be different to others – so refinement of what’s expected is a long term project
- System of productivity are fluid and should match your organisation and the people who are in it. No single methodology or approach is the right one for all.
- Step 5 – Iterate, learn and improve through a learning culture modelled and measured by YOU!
Many change programs or improvement initiatives often lack a plan for people. In my experience, at least in the technology field, there are very shaky people foundations with which to build teams upon.
Strong foundations allow change to develop.
How do you do that? With clarity and kindness.
My Business Programs are designed for organisations that want to “Release Agility” and remove blockers whilst building engaged teams, no matter what industry you operate in.
My programs support every aspect of Releasing Agility so no matter where you are in the journey I have you covered.
They vary greatly from client to client and tend to be highly intensive – Releasing Agility is not something that can be easily packaged, certified and rolled out to anyone – although many will try.
Each program is built specifically for my clients to ensure maximum success.
Programs are often a combination of my main services:
- Inspirational Talks
I offer single day Programs all the way through to 6 month intensive Programs.
Programs can be tailored for specific audiences, such as leadership and managers, or specific roles such as Testers, HR and Agile Coaches.
Each program will be specific to your needs.
Below are details of the Programs as well as information about how I operate and what to expect from me.
Connect with me on LinkedIn and take up the conversation there if that works for you.
Or simply email me to get the ball rolling.
SERVICES AT A GLANCE
Build effective teams by understanding our natural communication styles at work – and then learn how to overcome our weaknesses. After all – I believe a good 99% of all problems in the workplace are communication problems. Training and Mentoring only
Release agility by painting a clear picture of the future, overcoming problems, building the right team, defining career progressions and iterating furiously around what works. No certifications or agile methodologies needed here. Consulting only
Cultivated Management 21
21 ways to become a better manager – from One to Ones to building relationships at the boundaries of your work. Training program
Cultivated Hiring and On-boarding
Consultancy around attracting, hiring and retaining the best people. To be successful you need the right people in the right place, at the right time. Consulting only
I offer myself and my experience to help you accelerate your business towards your goals. This consultancy spans many areas of building high performing teams. Consulting only
An inspiring talk and Q&A session where I leave your team motivated and inspired to make the most of their opportunities at your organisation. Talk
Training and Workshops
All training and workshop days are priced at £2500 for the whole day + travel/accommodation expenses.
Most training days have a limit of 30 people to ensure effective learning.
Inspiring Talks with Q&A
The talk and Q&A combined are priced at £1500 for the talk and session (typically 4 hours) + travel/accommodation expenses.
No limit to attendees.
Consultancy delivered as bespoke work packages. Typically, no less than 5 days. Typically, no more than 6 months. Prices on request – and always based on a day rate.
DON’T WASTE YOUR MONEY
Don’t throw money at tech and agile consultants though if your foundations aren’t in place (values, management, career development, HR, rewards, people management, process improvement, remunerations or hiring).
Many agile software consultants only know how to address tactical issues around testing, dev and agile. This is brilliant if you have strong foundations. If not, it could be a royal waste of time and money.
I worked with a Bank who had spent £24million in agile consultancy and were no nearer to shipping code than when they started.
Why? Because the very foundations of the culture are not set up to support agility.
Save your money. You cannot buy or force agility – agility must be released at a pace and rate that your business and team can sustain. This is often not what Executives and Managers want to hear, but it is true.
Agility comes from having strong foundations in your culture, brilliant management, HR strategies that support your teams and very clear communication from leaders and managers who inspire.
Agility is nothing more than removing friction towards a purpose, through co-operation and clear communication – but these skills are often in short supply. And many consultants will confuse matters and sell frameworks that may or may not work.
That’s not what I do. I don’t sell agile frameworks.
I help you find the friction points (which will be different for each team and company) and find sustainable ways to work around, through or over the friction.
Your system of productivity (when you’re delivering smoothly and quickly against your business purpose), may resemble a well known framework or it may not. But we’ll start with problems and not with frameworks.
All of this relies on solid foundations.
The good news is I can help you with these core foundations too.
I knew that move to HR would be valuable in the end 🙂
WHAT OTHERS HAVE TO SAY
Scott Summers –
DIRECTOR, nFocus Testing
“I knew Rob was a great speaker as I’d seen him present at a number of industry conferences so I had high expectations of the communications workshop he delivered to my team. He exceeded them all! He consulted with me to understand what we wanted to achieve and then facilitated a jam packed workshop that had something for everyone. Rob’s energy, expertise and amiable presenting style was a big hit with all of us and we left with new skills, insights and practical knowledge.”
Don’t hesitate to get in touch to book, have an informal chat or move ahead with anything you like on this page.