Join Our Company – A book about hiring and on-boarding Technologists
The tech world moves fast. New technology. New consumer markets. New coding languages. New delivery methodologies.
And for some companies, new ways of hiring and on boarding technology professionals. Sadly though, there are still many companies struggling to find, attract, hire and onboard new hires with grace, dignity and efficiency.
A friend of mine recently joined a new company and knew he shouldn’t have. The hiring process was awful, the contract was wrong, the first day was a disaster. He said to me “WTF have I done?”.
It reminded me of a time I joined a new company and quit after just 8 days. It reminded me of a time I joined a company and didn’t have a laptop for 4 days – despite it being a laptop based job. It reminded me of a time I went for an interview and was told there were no “right or wrong answers” but I didn’t get the job. Or the time it took 5 weeks for someone to respond to whether or not I was successful the job – I was, but I’d got something else by then. Or the time I got asked “Do you have any physical difficulties” (You can’t ask that question).
You get the point. Not every company is on top form when it comes to hiring technology professionals.
The reality is that good professionals are in demand – so why do so few companies put in the effort to snaffle that talent quickly and with dignity?
All of this inspired me to write a book: Join Our Company – How to hire and onboard technologists
(International links to the book on Amazon are at the bottom of the post)
When we were growing our team 100% year-on-year we struggled in our first 6 months to attract and hire the right people. Then we put the candidate at the heart of the process and we made sure everything we optimised was for the candidate experience.
We made sure we took the nerves away from starting a new company and we made sure our new starters were well looked after and informed within their first few weeks at work. It wasn’t always perfect and we made a ton of mistakes, but we never stopped making the process better.
I’ve included some ideas on how you too could do that, if you feel your hiring and on boarding strategies aren’t working.
When we implemented what I include in the book we had the following effects:
- Our recruitment costs were insanely low, as many hires came from word of mouth, our own personal branding efforts or our own marketing activities.
- Our employee churn rate was around 3% – pretty good. People didn’t leave.
- Candidates who didn’t make it through the interview process told others about how amazing the process was, and how brilliant the company was!
- Our average elapsed time from first speaking to the candidate to a decision, was around 10 days. Pretty good also.
Here’s what’s in the book:
- The other way will also work
- The structure of this book
- You have a choice
- The Hiring Plan – what problems or opportunities exist?
- Effective Employees
- Sourcing – attracting talent
- Balance Benefits
- Effective Job Adverts
- Use Agencies
- Hire Alone
- Hiring – flowing people through your process
- Staple yourself to a candidate
- Design a WOW service
- How to conduct a good phone interview
- Face to Face Interviewing
- A sample Onboarding process
- Some Considerations
- The Flow
- Bringing it all together
If you’re trying to hire and onboard technology professionals I hope this book is super valuable for you. What’s included inside helped us hire and grow a brilliant agile DevOps team – I hope it helps you achieve your goals too.
You can grab the book here:
Note – you will have to find the book on your national Amazon store – the links above are only for UK store. National links below. The book is in English only right now.